Dirty, greasy gas burner grates on today’s gas stovetops not only age the appliance, but they also can affect your cooking and present a fire hazard. If you are looking for ways to clean gas stove burners quickly and effectively, we have everything you need to know right here.
The Ammonia Method
- Place each burner grate into its own gallon-sized zipper lock plastic bag.
- Add ¼ cup undiluted ammonia.
- Seal the bag and allow it to sit for several hours or overnight. You may want to put the bags outside in case the ammonia smell leaks out (it’s pretty strong and unpleasant). During this time the fumes will dissolve and loosen the griminess safely from the enameled iron.
- Remove from bag, wipe off grates, and admire.
The Baking Soda Method
- Wash all burners with lukewarm water and dishwashing detergent to remove initial film.
- Make a thick paste of baking soda and water.
- Coat all burners with paste and let stand for 20 minutes.*
- Scrub the softened food residue with a sponge and rinse thoroughly.
- If this method doesn’t work, try the ammonia method.
The Vinegar Method
- As a way of daily maintenance, spray burners regularly with vinegar.*
- Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Wipe down with a clean cloth.
- This method is most effective as ongoing maintenance, as it cuts through grease before it has a chance to be baked in. Use this process after cleaning gas stove top with the first two methods.
If the electric starters (which sit on top of the stove under and to the side of the burner) get wet with any chemical it will fire constantly until the chemical is completely dissolved. Lighting the burner and letting it burn in most cases will not remove the overspray. Many times it takes either letting it fire constantly for 24 to 48 hours or replacing the starter. Use caution and avoid getting the electric starter wet.
Content not Written by Lilac Clean
Lilac Clean is a professional cleaning company based in Lagos, Nigeria. We specialise in residential and commercial cleaning. Our cleaners are available 7 days a week in all Lagos areas. Contact us now Phone: 08056895502Email: email@example.com